Position of a Professor of Theoretical Physics (Nanophysics) at the University of Graz
At the Institute of Physics at the Faculty of Natural Sciences, the University of Graz is seeking to appoint a Professor of Theoretical Physics (Nanophysics) (40 hours per week; selection procedure in accordance with Section 98 of the Universities Act (UG); permanent employment according to the Salaried Employees Act (AngG); expected starting date October 1st 2020)
For this professorship we are seeking an outstanding scientific personality who will complement and expand the existing expertise at the Institute of Physics in the field of solid-state or nano physics and be responsible for teaching the subject of theoretical physics. We expect the core research area to be the theoretical description of optical and electronic properties of nanostructures. A topical overlap with the experimental groups in nano optics, surface science, or nano and quantum materials located in Graz is preferred. The teaching duties of the successful candidate will include teaching the basics of theoretical physics and research oriented special topics in master’s and doctoral programmes, as well as supervising bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral theses. The University of Graz and the Graz University of Technology aim to join their physics institutes into a combined "Graz Centre of Physics" (GCP), within the framework of the strategic inter-university cooperation NAWI Graz. The successful candidate is expected to actively contribute to this effort and collaborate with the participating groups from other disciplines at the research locations in Graz.
- Austrian or equivalent foreign higher education degree corresponding with the position (doctorate/PhD)
- Habilitation or equivalent qualification in Theoretical Physics or Chemistry
- Outstanding academic qualifications in research and teaching in the relevant discipline and for the profile of the professorship (commensurate with stage of academic career)
- Success in attracting subject-specific project grants, particularly where competitively awarded third-party funds are concerned
- Skills in higher education didactics
- Skills in the supervision and guidance of early career researchers
- Professional experience abroad during academic career
- Management and leadership experience
- Gender mainstreaming skills
- The candidate is expected to demonstrate his/her educational and didactic aptitude. This also includes skills in the supervision and guidance of junior researchers.
The successful candidate will be highly motivated, aiming for academic excellence and integrity in research and teaching. He/she will have demonstrated ability to collaborate constructively in a responsible manner and inspire colleagues and students in an interdisciplinary, internationally oriented context.
Please refer to the advertisement for more information!
Application deadline: March 4th 2020
Reference number: BV/2/98 ex 2019/20
Advertisement in German
Advertisement in English